When you suffer from bruxism, you can experience headache, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) discomfort and muscle aches, facial myalgia (muscle pain), ear ache, tightness and stiffness of the shoulders, limitation of mouth opening and sleep disruption of the individual as well as the bed partner.
At Claire Dental, our denturist can fit you with comfortable night guards to protect your teeth during sleep.
Short-term effects of bruxism
- Headache – Bruxism sufferers are three times more likely to suffer from headaches.
- Facial myalgia (aching jaw & facial muscles)
- Ear ache
- Tightness/stiffness of the shoulders
- Limitation of mouth opening
- Sleep disruption
- Sleep disruption of bed partner due to noise
- Excess tooth mobility
- Inflamed & receding gums
Long-term effects of bruxism
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (sometimes called TMJD or just TMJ)
- Tooth wear & breakage
-Information from the Bruxism Association